When you first start pidgin, hit the Add… button to add an account.
(1) Under Basic tab, set these values:
- Protocol: XMPP
- Username: your Riseup username
- Domain: riseup.net
- Password: your Riseup Passwords
Optionally, set the local alias to be your name, and add an icon for yourself. Other people will see this icon on their jabber client.
See the Off the Record tutorial for details on using end-to-end encryption with Pidgin.
For added security on Linux systems, we recommend you secure your pidgin using these steps:
- copy usr.bin.pidgin to /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.pidgin
- restart apparmor
sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor restart
- restart pidgin
To configure Pidgin to use Tor, you need to modify your account settings as follows:
First chose Modify Account Settings…
then click the Advanced tab and set the following values:
- Connection Security: Require encryption
- Connect Port: 5222
- Connect Server: 4cjw6cwpeaeppfqz.onion
- File Transfer Proxies: proxy.riseup.net
Then click on the Proxy tab…
Set the proxy type to be Socks5, set the host and port as shown in the image, and set your username and password.